In the beginning, Sampaloc was a barrio of Lucban called Dingin, consisting of three (3) sitios.  It was named after a big tamarind tree found in the center of the settlement.  Later the name was changed to Alfonso Trece in honor of the then King of Spain.  Through the efforts of Juan Pineda who became “absolute’ in 1892, Sampaloc became a municipality.   A year later, the first election was held, the electors being the parish priest, the Tenyente Mayores, the ex-cabezas and prominent citizens of the town.  Juan Pineda was elected the first Captain or the town’s head. Diego Gagan succeeded Juan Pineda as Capitan.  When the impact of the Philippine-American War reached the town, Capitan Diego Gagan was forced to leave, and Juan Saludades, then Leader of the local insurrectos, took over.

Juan de Asis became president in 1904.  Some improvements were made:  a new church, later destroyed by a storm in 1934, was constructed.  After Jose de Asis, Capitan Diego came to power again as president, followed by Mateo Almozara, Mateo Apordo, Sisenando Pineda and Andres Jardin.

Notable and permanent improvements were realized during the administration of later presidents and mayors beginning with that of Leon Dejelo.  He was able to effect the installation of public waterworks system. Old streets were given names and new ones were constructed.

During the administration of Gregorio C. Abeja, a new municipal building and a semi-concrete school house were erected.

Adverse circumstances denied President Fortunato M. Oblena, the opportunity to realize any remarkable accomplishments.  On November 27, 1934, a fierce storm hit the town, blowing down the church and several houses and destroying crops and animals and even human lives.  The year 1935 witnessed the terror brought about by the notorious Asedillo.  Beginning in August 18, 1936, terrible earthquakes rock the town for one week.  Those years of suffering were one of the saddest in the town’s history.

Roman Villaverde was elected mayor in 1937 and served for two terms.  His second term has just begun when the Second World War broke out.  Having fled to the hills, Apolinario Villaverde was appointed acting mayor.  Through the Executive Commission, Roman Villaverde was appointed acting mayor to replace Apolinario Villaverde on September 1, 1942.  He was appointed by President Sergio Osmeña to served until June 30, 1946.

Towards noon of February 2, 1945, a deafening explosion rumbled for miles around.  The Elementary school vanished in thin air as well as the lives of about a hundred people.  People fled to the hills, thus the town was left in the hands of the guerillas, who elected Zacarias Anareta as mayor.

The advanced troops of Americans arrived in the town on April 9, 1945 to the great relief of the town folks.

When the Philippines was granted independence by the United States on July 4, 1946, Sixto Obnamia was appointed acting mayor by President Manuel Roxas of the New Republic.  It was during is term when the Hukbalahap (Huks) became active in this town.  In the local elections of 1947, Paterno Abcede won an easy victory.

The local elections of 1959 marked the beginning of the clam mentality of the people of Sampaloc, which was strongly manifested during elections.  Two strong candidates contended for the position of municipal mayor:  Fidel Torres and Dr. Rodolfo Veluz.

The election was also memorable to the town because Paterno Abcede became board member of the Province of Quezon, the first from the humble town to hold an elective provincial position.  Another Sampalokin, Atty. Medardo L. Tumagay, was also elected provincial board member in 1963.

Mayor Torres and Vice Mayor Jacinto D. Salayo ran for the same position, unopposed, in the elections of 1963.  In their second term, the Administration launched several projects.

The local elections of 1967 ended the term of Torres and heralded that of Rodolfo Obnamia, who ran for the mayoralty under te Nacionalista Party.  In 1976, the Sampaloc Medicare Hospital was established through the efforts of Mayor Obnamia.  His term was extended due to the proclamation of Martial Law up to 1980. 

When the next local election was held, Dr. Alban M. Nantes won.  Nantes, though not a politician did his job well as a Local chief Executive.

In the local elections of 1988, Atty. Agnes Devanadera the daughter of former mayor Fidel Torres won.   Devanadera proved to be a tactful, energetic and strong-willed administrator.  She served for three terms until 1999.

In the 1999, election Samson B. Delgado, a mariner won and served for nine years until 2007.

In 2007, Mayor Emmanuel S. Torres, the son of former mayor Fidel Torres and the brother of former mayor and Secretary of the Department of Justice, Agnes Devanadera was elected Mayor.